Thursday, September 15, 2016

Conversation 3

What are we learning this week?

Monday: Observation / Point of View
Tuesday: Slice of Life in Conversation
Wednesday: Conversation of Objects
Thursday: Conversation: Poem in Two Voices

You may have read the poetry book, "Joyful Noise: A Poem for Two Voices," by Paul Fleischman.




Listen to Mrs Mathieson's students read their Poems for Two Voices:



 Poetry, they explain, is a global language of expression, emotion, opinion, and, in two voices, perspectives. You'll hear sports, love & hate, Mother & Daughter, and many more.  Listen to how they spoke separate at times and at other times together, to show compare, contrast, and the strength of each voice and perspective.

It seems like a conversation; it could be. It could be a separate idea thinking to itself, but read together.

So think of two things: people, objects, cause/effect, problem/solution, issues. Compare and contrast the two things you choose. What would they say, to each other or by themselves? Be active and precise in your word choice, as you write what each would say. Then juxtapose your two poems into one poem for two voices.

For example. Yesterday the sun and the coneflower exchanged words in a conversation.

How might I compare and compose two voices based on those two ideas:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Coneflower and The Sun

Ah.
Oh
I love the streaming
I love

flinging out my energy
rays warming my petals

Yellow and bright


bright and piercing
Like I am the sun

shining forever
shining forever

reaching out onward

as the circle of planets
but I grow cold


In the cold
in my place
of my space
as earth’s tilt and turns
as earth’s tilt and turns
lose the warmth
lose the warmth
of Sun’s rays.
of my rays.

I shine on
My shine dims

My petals fall

My leaves brown


I shine on
My seeds fall

I live on
I live on
In spring sprouts


And on
A cycle of life.
A cycle of life.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your turn!  What objects carried on a conversation for you yesterday? Use those or another two objects to create your own poem for two voices.

Share the link in the comments below.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note: I created the poem in Google Docs in a table for each line. 
I changed the table properties by setting the table border at zero (0). 
I then copied/paste the title and table into my blog. 

Photo: Sheri Edwards 


A resource on Poems for Two Voices: 

1 comment:

  1. My students enjoy poems for two voices. Thanks for the reminder and for your lovely, warm conversation between the sun and the coneflower.

    ReplyDelete

Please add your comment with respect of others' ideas. Thank you.